Play Function doesn't work the same on touchscreen/click
Was wondering if anyone else has an issue that when touching a play button on a JW video loads the video but does not play it, you have to then touch the play button on the bar. Wheras is you click the play button on the video with a mouse, it plays immediately. You can see an example here: https://www.bigengage.com/land/Smart_URL_Shortner/
Thanks for that information. I was able to reproduce this in Chrome on a touchscreen-enabled Lenovo laptop in Windows 10. This behavior only seems to happen when the player is rendered in Flash in Chrome. When I set up a player to render in HTML5, tapping the “Play” button once begins playback.
This may have something to do with the Flash plug-in that Chrome is using. There is a version of the Flash plug-in that is baked directly into Chrome and is separate than the Flash plug-in used for Firefox and IE.
I would suggest re-configuring the cloud-hosted player you are using to render HLS in HTML5 in Chrome by unchecking the “Always Use Flash When Available” and checking the “Use HTML5 for HLS Playback” checkboxes in the player configuration in your dashboard. Please note that any time you change settings on cloud-hosted player, it may take a few moments for the live player on your site to be affected.
I am suggesting this for a few reasons. The first is that a lot of browsers are beginning to automatically block Flash content on web pages. The second being that we are doing everything we can to lessen the player’s reliance on Flash, so our engineers most likely will not be prioritizing an issue that is only affecting Flash, especially if it’s only in one browser and only on touchscreen-enabled devices. We are doing this partly because what I already said about Flash starting to be blocked in browsers, but also because Flash usually causes web pages to load slower and user’s computers to run harder and has an affect on their battery life. Lastly, because this may be caused by the version of the Flash plug-in only found in Chrome, there may not even be anything that we can do about it anyway.
I’m still going to escalate this to our engineers so they are aware, but I would strongly suggest configuring the player to render in HTML5.
Please let me know if you need any more help or have any other questions.
I went ahead and made the switch on the players we use, but I ran into a weird problem. After switching to HTML5, the last few seconds of my videos are all cutting off on Chrome and firefox, but not Edge
Here's an example: https://www.bigengage.com/be-common/videos/promotion-video.html